Started Jun 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
D800 or any DSLR Video is HORRID!!
Jun 28, 2012

So I tested out the D800e's video capability's and compared it to the experience I have had with my Panasonic TM700, and the $1000 dedicated video camera blows the D800e out of the water completely in almost every way.

The focus on the D800e is slow, loud, and makes the video almost unuseable for anything but maybe a short pan of a static landscape.

The zoom ring actually becomes a liability because you can't do a very slow and constant zoom in on a scene. Your hand moves the camera and eventually you run out of room to turn the zoom without readjusting and therefore stopping the slow zoom, and the zoom is not a constant speed like it is with the small lever on my TM700.

You have to use LiveView, you cannot use the viewfinder like I do with the TM700 when it's bright outside or such.

The TM700 does 60fps at 1080P, the D800e can't even get close.

The onboard mic on the TM700 doesn't pick up the focusing much, but it does pick up a heatsink fan; but it's still very useable. I do have an external shotgun mic, but it's not neccessary all the time, on the D800e it's required.

The incredible ISO of the D800e allows me to shoot without constant lighting, whereas the TM700 is grainy with noise unless it's used. So I guess on ISO, the D800e wins. I'm sure it wins with good bokeh too. But pretty much EVERYTHING ELSE shows that video on a dSLR is generally terrible and almost useless.
--

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow