Did anyone find a solution for adjusting A65/57 focusing?

Started Jun 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
mick232
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Like?
Re: Nonsense
In reply to theswede, Jun 28, 2012

theswede wrote:
Which, as far as I can tell, is precisely what I'm saying.

I then keep hearing the same statements over and over:
1. get the camera/lens adjusted by service
2. it's your lenses
3. even things like "some amount of BF is normal"

All of which are correct.

Correct does not mean that it is acceptable or that it cannot be improved.

As for item (1): recently I read a report of a user claiming that his lens has significant backfocus with teleconverter whereas it does focus fine without.

The telefocus adapter needs calibrating.

So now, please explain: are we supposed to send in the camera for re-calibration each time we attach or remove the teleconverter?

Of course not. Send the teleconverter, lens and camera in for calibration and make note that everything already works fine without the teleconverter. Then the focus adjustment can be corrected and the teleconverter will work fine.

So what if you have multiple cameras? Calibration always gives you a 1:1 assignment of equipment, be it lens/camera or camera/lens/tc. I find that inacceptable in an interchangeable lens system, given the fact that there's a software-only solution to the problem.

This HAS to be adjustable in the camera, the possibility of sending it in for calibration at a service center is not an acceptable solution for a system with interchangeable lenses.

Professionals do that all the time. I agree it's inconvenient, and if you prefer not to do it, buy a camera with built in AF adjustment.

Last time I checked, Sony did not sell a single APS-C DSLR with that feature. If you know of any, please let me know. I'll gladly buy it.

As for item (2): we have numerous reports of people with 5 or more lenses, all of which consistently backfocus. I am one of them. Do the math. How likely is that claim?

Very.

I disagree, but that's going to be an endless discussion, so let's just agree to disagree.

Finally, I couldn't disagree more with item (3). It's just not acceptable.

I agree. Still, autofocus is a complex procedure and getting it right every time is very hard. Modern cameras are better than ever at it, but also more unforgiving than ever.

It is complex, but there are remedies such as MFA readily available that Sony is withholding from customers for strategic reasons (e.g. A65 vs A77). That's clearly not in the customer's best interest and that's why I am trying to raise awareness of this issue.

mick232's gear list:mick232's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow