Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
solarsky
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
Re: DP2 Merrill may be released on July 12th
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jun 28, 2012

Roland Karlsson wrote:

ulfie wrote:

As someone considering moving "up" from a small sensor (Panny LX3) to at least APS-C size $1,000 would be a bit high but OK if--repeat IF--the Sigma DPm offers superb image quality, reliably superb IQ. Not just sometimes and usually that sometimes is via RAW only. From what I've seen Sigma's jpeg quality is very iffy, very iffy.

Its not the JPEG that is the problem. The conversion from RAW to RGB is VERY COMPUTING EXPENSIVE. And Sigma cannot afford designing a serious hardware accelerator for that task. So ... you have to take the RAW to your super computer at your desktop to be able to do a good rendition in a reasonable time.

"hardware accelerator" for RAW to TIFF conversion in SPP? How about using OpenCL for GPU-CPU-computing, like Adobe and many others in the media software industry do? AMDs current high-end graphics cards are the BEST at GPU-computing (and reasonably affordable, too) and if Sigma was to advance the development of SPP to make use of OpenCL-computing, this would, in combination with the use of program-specific RAM-discs as scratch-discs, allow the whole RAW to TIFF- or JPEG-conversion to be completed within the same time as with the fastest RAW-converters. Apart from which a JPEG2000-export-function in SPP would also be a nice feature, especially if well-implemented... And in terms of camera features: I don't understand why they don't allow their users to set fully CUSTOMIZABLE intervall-settings. Only one shot every 30 seconds? What if I want one every 5 seconds? The aforementioned improvements should ALL be entirely do-able...

solarsky's gear list:solarsky's gear list
Sigma DP2s 808 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Dp1MNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow