Started Jun 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ianbramham
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
******* Results - Challenge 147 ************
Jun 28, 2012

Thanks to all of you who submitted a photo to Challenge 147 with the theme of 'Water'.

Here's a link to the original thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=41823257&page=1

I really enjoyed looking at all of the photos. There were 47 submissions including one where I needed to visit Flickr to view it.

I don't have time to comment on all of the submitted photos but I'm going to talk about the ones I really liked which includes a list of my Top 10 plus a group of photos that nearly got into the final 10.

Some of the other photos that didn't make the cut were also great but I felt their approach to the water theme wasn't strong enough.

If there's anyone whose photo I haven't commented on here who would like feedback please send me an email via the contact form on my website and I'll be happy to discuss your entry.

First of all it's the group of shots that didn't quite make the Top 10 and they are shown in no particular order:

As Illas, Ribadeo, Galicia by cfh25

Lovely photo with great colour but there were others where the theme of water was a stronger element of the shot.

Gullfoss, Iceland by Gigiush

This one was in and out of the top 10 group a few times but in the end it didn't quite make the cut. I hope to be visiting Iceland in October and can't wait to see these falls for myself (weren't they used at the start of Ridley Scott's new film Prometheus?)

Somersby Falls by ibeng
Very nice use of slow shutter speed

Awosting Falls by Mike O'Donnell

The falls themselves are beautifuuly captured Mike but for me there's too much empty black space, particularly on the left side. I'd have liked to have seen just a bit more location context.

On the blade by Deepak Kaw

A lovely shot but you were against some very stiff opposition from other water droplet photos (see the Top 10)

The Storm by Evo82
I loved the green colour and the torrential rain.

Lombok Fishermen by I Beam
Great drama in this shot

THE TOP 10 PHOTOS ARE NEXT

Now for the Top 10 in reverse order:

10th Place

Final Lighthouse by blues4u
I love the drama of that water breaking over the lighthouse

9th Place

Belvedere Castle by DezM
A lovely b&w photo Dez. Those reflections in the water are a real delight.

8th Place

Surfer by RayG123

Great composition Ray. I love the line of the breaking wave and the light shining through the tip of the curling water.

7th Place

Abstract Reflexion by JPMontez
I'm a sucker for a good abstract photo and this was an instant hit with me.

6th Place

E+B by Jkjond

A really beautiful shot by my favourite wedding photographer John Leech - the groom must have had wet shoes for the rest of the wedding!

5th Place

Up to my neck in it! by Neil Bryant

I'm no great fan of composite images but this is such a strong photo! (Neil - with a different judge this may well have won)

4th Place

Mystical by EXDS

As a photo this is perhaps my personal favourite and the one I would most like to have taken myself but I felt the top 3 shots were stronger on the theme of water.

Now for the Top 3 - these final images swopped places in the rankings a couple of times. I loved all three of them!

3rd place

White Water by k5mitch

No c&c from me - it's got great composition, it's strong and simple with a really strong water theme.

2nd place

Storm by petermoons

This is such a strong photo! I love images with strong simple composition and this is wonderful with the curved line of the water and the contrast between the white background and the darker line of the water - that line of bubbles really add to the photo.

WINNER

Precious Water by winniepoo
A really worthy winner - congratulations!

A really bold use of colour, great composition with simple lines and shapes and the water drops are perfect!

Well done again winniepoo and I look forward to seeing what theme you chosse for the next challenge!

Ian
Fine Art Photography Website: http://ianbramham.com/

ianbramham's gear list:ianbramham's gear list
Nikon D800
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow