D800 Family Portraits - Outdoor w/speedlights

Started Jun 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jody Leonard
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Family Portraits - Outdoor w/speedlights
In reply to Novens2, Jun 28, 2012

First, let me say that I am not a pro but I tend to know what Im doing and what is generally appealing in a photo.

1. 1 is nice. The ambient, I believe, should be underexposed slightly. However, this is underexposed a half stop too much, making them look a little too photoshopped in. Don't get me wrong, I like that 3D look.

As for the others, they are all overexposed to where the highlights are completely blown in certain areas. The one of the little girl, her skin blends into the dress in her left shoulder.

The group shot, the highlights in the clothes are definitely blown, as you cannot see any folds or creases in the father's shirt.

Now, I do realize that overexposure in portraiture is a popular fad these days, but personally, I don't like it.
Thank you for sharing. It is these sort of critiques that help us all learn.
--
http://www.jodyleonardimages.zenfolio.com

Jody Leonard's gear list:Jody Leonard's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow