Started Jun 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Sony NEX 5N vs 7
Jun 28, 2012

My wife has been asking about a new Sony NEX camera. She held (and liked) the 5N but our local BestBuy did not have the 7 available for her to hold and play with.

I normally use regular (Canon) DSLRs but would probably use the Sony as a backup if my wife had one. I have been trying to decide if she (and perhaps I) would be happier with the 5N or the 7. We use cameras differently and I have looked at the specs trying to decide which is better suited for (mainly) her use, but I don't see that much in the specs themselves pointing to the 7 as a better camera.

The 5N has ISO values up to 25600 while the 7 only goes to 16000 while the 7 has higher image resolution and a built-in flash. Other than those the cold statistics seem to be almost identical between the two cameras as far as I can see. Yet the 7 is a much more expensive camera. What makes the 7 worth that much more than the 5N? What is it that is not in the specs? I am sure that the 7 offers some functionality not available in the 5N but I cannot see what it is from the specs and no one at BestBuy knows very much about the two cameras.

Any help would be appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow