Started Jun 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Devorama
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Just got the TG-1, wish it had more flash control
Jun 27, 2012

So I just got my TG-1 today. I also have a XZ-1, so I'm used to having a lot of control of the camera. One thing I loved on the XZ-1 was manual flash power control. You could combine this with a manual shutter, aperture, and ISO to balance flash and ambient light nicely. I knew that was not possible with the TG-1 because it has very little manual control.

I was hoping it would have a "slow sync" flash, where it combines a longer exposure with flash to give more ambient light. It does not have a specific setting for this, but I noticed it did choose 1/30 sec for my flash photos. Also, if you choose the Night+Portrait mode, it will shoot a higher ISO with the 1/30 sec and flash to give more ambient light in the mix.

Lastly, I noticed in the manual there there is a slave mode for the flash. This mode supresses any pre-flashes and just outputs one burst of light to activate a slave flash. The manual says "The flash intensity setting can be adjusted." However, I've seen no where the flash can be lowered. And it fires rather strongly, so there's no way to have this slave control flash not contribute heavily in the photo. Even at ISO 100, just the slave control flash is just about enough to properly light a scene from about 2 meters.

Also, there is no flash power adjustment, nor does the exposure compensation affect the flash.

Other than that, it's a pretty neat little camera. The super macro mode with LED focuses real close and is decently lit.

If anyone has any questions for me, let me know.

Devorama's gear list:Devorama's gear list
Pentax K-3
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow