Is the D7000 the right camera for low light dance concerts?

Started Jun 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
partitura
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Is the D7000 the right camera for low light dance concerts?
Jun 27, 2012

I am a former D700 owner, with arthritis in my hands. Most of my work is travel photography, and because of its weight I decided to give up the D700 for a Nex 7. I've been very happy with my choice - for its intended use (travel) the Nex 7 works very well for me.

A small portion of my work, though, is shooting ballet/modern dance. This is not good territory for the Nex at all. I need a camera with excellent results at very high ISO, which of course is driven by the need for fast shutter speeds in low light. I also need very accurate and very fast AF in low light conditions.

I was hoping to get one of the Sony SLT cameras so that I could trade lenses between the Nex and the SLT. But from what I understand, high ISO is not the strength of the SLT line. I'm sure the D800 would be fabulous, but I can't afford it. From those of you who have used it - do you think I would get good results in this kind of environment with the D7000, and say, a 70-200 vr?

Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow