Show us how good the SX40 is Straight Out Of Camera

Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,448Gear list
Like?
Congratulations everyone, I think we . . .
In reply to VisionLight, Jun 27, 2012

. . . just completed a review of using the SX40 in the real world.

Many people won't buy a camera until their decision has been justified by a very technical review on this site or others. When a camera first comes out, that can be very important, since an experienced review team can point out that one feature we really need that works really well. Or reveal for anyone of us the fatal flaw that as an individual we just can't live with. But once a camera has been out for a while, that review, whether it exists or not, no longer becomes as important. Because what we have are capable and talented people who step up and show us what the camera can actually do under real conditions, with real subjects, in the real world:

In no particular order -

dtibi shows us fine examples of a range of ISOs, focal lenghts and lightings.

Kali shows us an environmental portrait under difficult conditions.

Doug and Tony show us that even with a superzoom, one can still get great results on the super wide side of the lens.

jimjoh takes us to the middle of the range around 400mm.

Carolyn shows us how to finesse difficult indor lighting and also gives a taste of the superzoom.

sharodo uses the long zoom not for great distance, but bringing close-ups to a personal level.

chris shows us that the camera is easy to handle even after only a couple of days of ownership.

BoBss shows us the camera's extreme capabilities for P&S birding, and how choosing in-camera formating can make an image.

Jeremy adds a strong statement for the birding capabilities.

Anoop shows that the camera can take wonderful pictures of our pets.

hannenberg gives us a great wildlife exposure of a wet turtle under difficult bright lighting.

CoasterFan shows the camera can be used in the rough and tumble of journalistic reporting, especially from the back of the room.

poppa68 tells us we don't have to worry about getting true "purples" with this camera, a sometimes difficult task for many cams.

Oh yeah. And my images try to portray some of the camera's technical strengths under the best conditions, as well as ability to create mood at other times. Added some examples of ISO 3200 in daylight. And promoted my favorite feature of the camera, macros at full zoom from only 4 feet away.

Hope I didn't miss anyone who posted images. I spent a couple hours in surgery yesterday, so my brain may still be a little addled. Come back and yell at me if I did miss you, because everyone made important contributions.

All are images of everyday photography under various everyday conditions. And Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC) as well. A testament to what the camera can do all by itself with no post processing. For almost everyone except the more hardcore techies, it's been a portrayal that shows that for almost any image you want to create, this camera is a capable P&S and sits in the upper class of other P&Ss.

Almost because the contributions, or lack thereof, also show some weakness. The biggest one is getting the moment in action photography. No one posted an image of the tag at home plate, or a bird in flight. Because this camera does not make those situations easy. Possible - with a lot of practice and experience with the timing of the camera's focus/shutter/IS process - but not easy. Also, the digital zoom is wonderful and usuable when you need it, but not a mainstay for sharp images without a tripod. But even that's not bad for a P&S.

So I hope we helped some people who are thinking about this camera. Maybe they'll decide to get this one. Or not. Either way, glad to have lent assistance. And also hope we helped those who already have the SX40 and needed some tips or inspiration for their own work.

Great job everyone. And it doesn't have to end here. There are probably still some great SOOC examples out there that we'd all like to see.

Thanks to all,
Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow