ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mcl
mcl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,151Gear list
Like?
My brother and Sony A57 vs Canon T4i vs Nikon D3200
Jun 27, 2012

My older brother has been looking to buy a DSLR. Last SLR he bought was back around 1980 when I bought a Minolta XG-7 and he got a Canon AE-1. He knows I'm a KM/Sony person...I have a KM Maxxum 7D and a Sony A700. He's been looking for a while and we've been talking about it.

So he's been looking at the three I've listed. He was ready to take a Sony deal of an A57, lens and memory card for $900 which would also give him points for other stuff when he saw a very poor rating of the A57 from Consumer Reports. I like him subscribe to both their on-line and hardcopy versions so I was able to see what he saw. They only gave it a rating of 63. I don't think you could get the link if I pasted it so I will have to copy and paste text. Anyway he wanted to know what the counter arguments would be about the CR ratings.

I'm pasting the highs and lows. the lows of poor picture & video quality were what got to him. After all he is looking at the other 2 cameras. BTW, he like me has very large hands and the "bulkier" is not a minus but a plus for him. In fact when he tried the Nikon in a store he said it was way too small.

Highs• Images taken in low-light (no flash) were very sharp
• Very good image stabilizer, better than many cameras
• Very long battery life for an SLR-like
• Very fast start-up time, much better than most models
• Short next-shot delay, better than many models
• Has a very good swiveling LCD

Lows• Takes only good quality photos, which is lower quality than most in its class
• Photos displayed a fair amount of visual noise, particularly in low light
• Bulkier and heavier than many SLR-likes
• Captures only fair audio when recording video

Detailed test results

PHOTO QUALITY. This 16-megapixel SLR-like captured images with good quality. Pictures were sharp though not as sharp as better models, which means you can see much but not all details and subtle patterns in the image. In low-light situations without a flash, pictures were very sharp. We judged this model very good for outdoor performance, such as shooting landscapes in the daytime; good for indoor performance, such as a photographing a well-lit basketball game in a gym; very good for performance under natural light without a flash, such as shooting under an overcast sky; and fair for low-light performance without a flash, such as capturing a birthday party. Photos taken in our low-light performance tests displayed a fair amount of image noise; many subjects did not retain correct detail and color.

VIDEO. The Sony SLT-A57K takes good video, lower quality than some other SLR-likes. It captures full HD video at 1920 x 1080. The camera can also zoom optically while capturing video. As for sound, it captures fair audio in stereo. However, the camera will pick up the sound of the zoom in the audio.

(BTW, I've also "toyed" with getting an A57 and have concerns about this also. I prev wanted the A77 to blow my socks off especially with the rumored 1000 price...my socks are verry much still on.)
--
mcl

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow