Cheap Optical Viewfinder/Loupe for E-PL1 Etc?

Started Jun 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
Cheap Optical Viewfinder/Loupe for E-PL1 Etc?
Jun 27, 2012

Note: I did search this topic before posting this. I did find this thread ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41427132 ) but what the person mentioned using I couldn't find.

Anyway: I am about to go on a trip where I'm certain my E-PL1 (with 14-42mm II MSC) will receive heavy usage, and outdoors. I'm good to go with everything except one thing--I'd like an optical viewfinder to use in bright light. Any old eBay cheapie will do.

Yes I'm well aware that the E-PL1 is a "viewfinder-less" camera & was when I bought it, & I know of the EVF options. Most times, I'm fine, but sometimes the bright light is too much & I wouldn't mind a "peephole" to at least help out somewhat. I'm not keen on spending $150 or whatever on the external EVF, especially since most times I get by okay as-is. (I'm well aware the viewfinder won't show you what's in focus, framing won't be as accurate due to parallax & other factors.)

I did find these 2 eBay items to represent what I'm looking for somewhat (tinyurl.com/6ohl6os and tinyurl.com/83dsuwc you will have to copy-paste in a new browser "tab" it blocks them if I try & make them "hot links"). The first, they're not shipping it until September (too late) the other is really close to the right idea but it states it's a "fisheye" so I imagine it would be too far off, even account for parallax

Any tips? Or would a "loupe" be better , as in something like this (tinyurl.com/7yuazry) that's an "LCD loupe" it's for 3" screens & the E-PL1 has a 2.7" but maybe that's close enough?

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Olympus PEN E-PL1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow