Recommend a camera for my wife

Started Jun 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
harrygilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommend a camera for my wife
In reply to Bluevortex, Jun 27, 2012

You didn't mention if YOU were a photographer, perhaps with some better equipment.

My wife struggled along with several consumer-grade P&S cameras, and was frustrated at the poor quality she got compared to what I was able to achieve with better equipment. And, of course, gave me strong negative feedback over what I was spending on my hobby.

So, I bought her a decent DSLR (Canon 50D) with a good zoom lens (18-200). Immediately, the quality (and quantity) of her work increased, and she started borrowing some of my lenses. But (and this is a big but) she stopped whining about what I was spending, and even suggested that a 500mm lens would fit in "our" budget.

The end result: my wife is producing some really nice work, and we now share a hobby. Unlike some other couples we know, WE have a hobby in common, and spend much more time together, planning outings and making images.

You may wish to look at the Canon SX40, which I recommended to my Dentist for his wife. Both she and he are quite pleased with it.

harrygilbert's gear list:harrygilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow