Started Jun 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081Gear list
Like?
Printing with the D800 - oh my...
Jun 27, 2012

I have an Epson 3880 which is a class act for printing landscape work. With the right paper and associated profile, the results are stunning. Some people claim the printed differences are slight between cameras like the D700 and D800; I've read that more than once on here. Yeah right....

I've spent the day printing some of my latest stuff on Canson Baryta and Hahnemuhle Photorag at A2 and the results are just off the chart - it's a leap in quality at this size, I don't care what anyone else claims. This is where those 36MP come back and reward you over and over and if you're serious about landscape photography and printing at this size then the D800 is the only camera choice at a reasonable price just now.

The objective is to stay above that magic 300ppi level because below that and results can be disappointing. At A2 I'm getting full page printing possibilities at 320ppi and at A3+ at inexcess of a whopping 400ppi. Native uncropped printing on the D700 was pretty much limited to A3+ as a max because once you start to look close at anything above that and it could look soft. Even the 5DMKIII can't really touch this - a full resolution print on A2 plummets to 240ppi.

I really don't see this being discussed much, if ever, on here which suggests that probably most people are buying cameras like this for the web these days which is a total waste. I would strongly suggest that instead of buying that next lens you go out and buy a printer like the Epson 3880 because it will change your view of what photography is really about...

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow