Nikon D5100 vs Canon EOS 550D Which is Better????

Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Syaoran Li
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: Have fun and keep with it.
In reply to Guidenet, Jun 27, 2012

Guidenet wrote:

Just to add what everyone said, first of all the reason we tend not to use Twitter type shortcut language on these forums is because they are international in nature. Some here use software translators to put posts in their own language. Slang and shortcut language doesn't translate at all well. I hope you understand. To many of us older people, it also comes across as lazy. I understand that on Twitter, one is limited to 140 characters per Tweet and shortcuts are needed, but not here. You get a whopping 6,000 characters per post. No need to say abt for about. LOL See?

Now, welcome to our world of photography. I hope you develop your passion for this hobby and possible career. It truly can be a wonderful life-long experience.

My suggestion would be similar to many here. I'd get the Nikon D5100 and the 18-105 VR kit lens. That combination will last you quite a while until you know what you need next based on you interests and usage you put the first lens to.

I'd also get the book by Bryan Peterson called Understanding Exposure to get a good start on what you should be learning. Get something like Photoshop Elements and begin right away to learn how to process your images properly and put them in a free gallery right here at DPReview. I'd read and enter some of the challenges here so as to get feedback and experience. Keep a thick skin on.

The only accessories I'd consider in the next six months to a year would be a good flash like the Nikon SB700 and a good solid tripod and ball head, but that can wait for a little. Don't settle for a crappy cheap tripod. Better to have none. It'll cost you at least $200 USD, probably more. Don't settle for a cheaper flash either. It has to be able to swivel and be Nikon iTTL capable. Nikon's own SB400 does neither well.

I'm sure the Canon and lens would also do as well. I just don't know them as well as I know Nikon. Sony makes some excellent beginner models too but again, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell about them. I shoot Nikon.

Most importantly, keep that passion going, learn about exposure and have a lot of fun doing it all. Again, welcome to our world.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Thanks for explaining everything so clearly.. at first i did not know about the short terms problem... and someone explained to me about it... so im really sorry if i have offended anyone by using short terms.... Sorry....

and i would follow your directions.... Thanks... for telling me about it... Thanks... ^ ^

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow