Started Jun 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pumanger
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
D800 16-bit PSD files with Macbook Air 2012
Jun 27, 2012

I am now using Macbook Pro 15,4", late 2008 Core2Duo, with 8GB of ram and 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD.

Basically, this combination is still useful with D800 raw files, but there is some "beach balling" in LR4.1. I guess this is partly the fault of LR4.1 poor performance - not entirely the fault of my outdated computer.

Anyway, I really want to upgrade my computer to 1. smaller and 2. faster laptop.

-13" MBP, no can do, the resolution of the screen is from 2002
-15,4" retina, too expensive and too new technology

-normal 15,4" MBP with high res - otherwise the best option, but I really would like to loose some weight on the new machine...

This leaves me two options: highest end 11" or highest end 13" MB Air wth 8GB of memory.

Looking at the Geekbench scores, both of those are at least twice as fast as my current MBP. They also have faster external connections (USB3 and TB).

Any real world experience how do those 2012 Airs handle D800 raw files and big 16-bit PSD? How about editing video?

I am using CS5 and LR4.1. Not going to update to CS6 in near future.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow