Let's see your favorite pic you've taken in the last 2 weeks or so.

Started Jun 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,667Gear list
Like?
rodeo
In reply to Shield3, Jun 27, 2012

I have a couple shots that I've printed or will be printing out from recent weeks, which means they've been a good couple weeks for me. Went to the Mesquite (Texas) Pro Rodeo last Saturday. Hard to pick one that I like the most but this one will do:

[A77 + DT 85 f2.8 SAM: 1/350th sec, f/2.8 @ ISO 1600.]

Not sure why I like that one best. Maybe it's because it's a bit anonymous (can't see face of either the rider or the horse). But I think it's because I like the powerful crouch of the horse — and the way you can see that the rider is flying a foot above the saddle.

Having trouble making up my mind about the print, though. The crop above is 5:4 (suitable for 8x10 print). But I shot at 16:9 and I rather like having all the empty space to the right and left so I might have to print it big. Still praying about that one. You can see the photo in the larger aspect ratio (and in color) here:

http://william-porter.viewbook.com/portfolio-2/album/rodeo-06-23-12?p=1

The color 16:9 version is #17 in the collection. You can see it larger by clicking the full screen button. If you have an opinion in favor of one or the other (color vs black and white, 16:9 vs 5:4) I'd be grateful to hear it.

If it's not that one, it's this one, which shows how the rider and horse above parted ways:

I like that one for the alarmed expressions on some of the spectators' faces. But I think I'd have been happier if I'd caught the rider in mid-air rather than as he hit the dirt. Them's the breaks.

Anyway, I had a ball at the rodeo and was pleased with that and few of the other shots. It's a great subject. Thanks for looking.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ToroNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow