Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,465Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't get that
In reply to TheMartyGuy, Jun 27, 2012

TheMartyGuy wrote:

Thanks all for the info and advice.

I've been using Corel AfterShot Pro to develop the raw. I shoot an old Sony Alpha A200 with a very old Sigma 28-105mm f2.8-4.

The default setting on AfterShot Pro with my setup is totally wrong. I need to adjust virtually all the settings to make a good image. At the default setting the image is very soft, and at ISO 400 the default noise reduction is also all wrong. By adjusting the settings (sharpness, noise reduction, local contrast, black and white point etc) I can get a very good image. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) I can adjust the settings many ways and get many different pleasing images. This is why I asked the question in the first place.

Perhaps the problem is with AfterShot Pro or more likely my incorrect application of the program.

It sounds like AfterShot, or at least the way it's set up, isn't helping you. As I mentioned, a RAW file comes up in Lightroom looking pretty good, certainly like a JPEG. They usually don't need anything other than changing white balance to my taste. Lightroom has presets that you can automatically apply to RAW files; I hope that AfterShot does too, or at least lets you change the defaults.
--
Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow