Started Jun 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sigma Nick
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
SD1 Lens Opinions
Jun 27, 2012

Maybe picking up an SD1 at the end of August. Im driving myself crazy thinking of what lenses will help my SD1 experience be a good one. I favor prime lenses but for my needs vs. price I am reluctant to buy a bunch of lenses. They don't hold their value like Nikon and Canon lenses. Here is a few combos im thinking.

Option 1 HSM Lenses.
17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Or 30 f/1.4 EX DC HSM
85 f/1.4 EX DG HSM

This would cover all my wide shooting and give me a excellent portrait lens. Currently my EF 85f/1.8 USM is by far my favorite lens and thinking of the 135 f/2L which would be close to the SD1 with 85mm and 1.5x crop

Option 2 Non HSM Lenses

24 f/1.8 EX DG ASP MACRO
70 f/2.8 EX DG MACRO

Both are macro but neither are "new tech" HSM. Not sure how I feel about not have a silent lens that doesn't extend out while focusing. Another concern is that the stock photo of the 24mm still shows the old fashion style of the lens... has it been upgraded style wise?

Either way and depending on if I can live with the SD1 quirks I will pick up a 150 f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO MACRO or a 180 f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM MACRO to give me extra reach and a top notch "new tech" macro lens. It would be a wise decision to make all the EX lenses like the new 180 macro... smooth finish with no gritty coating, HSM, and weather sealed.... if only I could get all that in the current lens selection... It would make my decision easier.

This is all balancing on the Light Room support for SD1 .XF3 files that I hear is coming up with in the next 2 LR updates.

AAARRRRGGGHHH.. and its not like I can just go to the store and handle the products. Its a online order gamble!
Thanks guys!

Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow