Real world question: do you switch from sRGB to Adobe RGB depending on the subject?

Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Doug Frost
Contributing MemberPosts: 542
Like?
Re: I shoot raw and aways go with Adobe RGB in post
In reply to VadimOm, Jun 27, 2012

VadimOm wrote:

I was answering his question from my stand point, not yours

Except that you quoted my post in your reply.

As to majority of web users being sRGB - how many wide gamuth monitors do you > see on display at your local store?

Around here - none. Look at the popularity charts of LCD monitors, at the lists of > > best selling ones, sort Amazon/Newegg search results by number of reviews and > > see what kind of monitors are on the first two-three pages, see any wide gamut > > ones ?

Consumer monitor specs rarely mention the percentage of either the sRGB or the Adobe RGB gamut they can reproduce. They typically talk about response time and contrast ratio and say nothing about color fidelity. Gamers care about that. Graphic designers are more into color fidelity. These days, monitors for professional graphics applications frequently specify their Adobe RGB compliance and many of them can reproduce close to 100% of it. All of the monitors used by the art directors in my company and by most of our clients can reproduce at least 90% of the Adobe RGB gamut. But we're a graphics design firm. It doesn't appear that you work in the same industry. sRGB is not a requirement for web design these days. There's no advantage to it. There's no longer any reason to arbitrarily reduce the color space of your images to satisfy the lowest common denominator at the expense of having it look less than its best on the best screens, especially when your clients are expecting cutting edge work.

Doug Frost wrote:

VadimOm wrote:

Because your clients use sRGB monitors?

Maybe yours do. Not mine.

Because your labs print in sRGB?

I make my own prints, and my printer is very happy with Adobe RGB, thank you.

Because most of the web is still sRGB?

It was 10 years ago. Not any more.

Doug Frost wrote:

I never use sRGB. I can't think of any reason why I'd want a smaller color gamut than Adobe RGB.

-- hide signature --

The gear is merely the means to an end, not the end itself.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow