Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whiggy
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
UWA Distortion
Jun 26, 2012

UWA owners - please try to imagine this hypothetical situation and answer my questions below.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to photograph people with UWA, just trying to illustrate the situation. I appreciate all comments about (group) portrait photography but that is not what I am after here. I just could not think of a better example to explain my questions. Please bear with me.

You have a 10mm lens and a 20mm lens from the same manufacturer with similar characteristics and performance.

You have a group of 10 people to photograph (let's call them persons 1 through 10) and the space is tight and you cannot step further back.

You take a shot with the 20mm lens and just barely get 6 people in the picture. The people on the left and right edges of the image are distorted due to wide angle of view. Let's call them person 3 and person 8.

You take a shot with the 10mm lens from the same distance and get all 10 people in the picture so they fill up the frame.

Is there about the same amount of distortion of person 3 and person 8 in WA and UWA pictures (theoretically), i.e., are people 1, 2, 9, and 10 just even more distorted in the 10mm picture?
Or are people 3 and 8 less distorted in the 10mm shot?

I hope I did not complicate this unnecessarily. (probably did)
Thanks for your replies.

whiggy's gear list:whiggy's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow