ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheRattt
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Bokeh on full frame vs crop
Jun 26, 2012

Hi

Simple (and completely bonkers?) question probably!

Say you have for example a 85mm 1.2 Lens, a 1,6x crop body and a 1.0x full frame body.

Say then you shoot a subject at 5m distance with the aperture wide open. Will the crop body then have a narrower depth of field because of the 1,6x crop and therefore create a "creamier bokeh" than shooting with the same lens in the same situation with a full frame?

I fully understand that a crop frame magnifies 1,6x (canon) but I can't quite wrap my head around how this will affect the out of focus areas. One should think that this lens would result in a very blurry and creamy bokeh on a crop camera, like shooting with a full frame and a (85x1,6)=136mm 1.2 lens? But when I look at pictures taken with a lens like this it always seem like the full frame pictures have a nicer bokeh to them.

Please help me understand this 100% Thanks

TheRattt's gear list:TheRattt's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow