ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359
Like?
CF card utility to flag bad areas?
Jun 26, 2012

Background….

I have 2 Lexar 8 GB 300x CF cards which I use with my D300. Both cards are exhibiting “read error” problems and I really don’t trust them at all. This does not happen with my Sandisk 16 GB Extreme Pro CF card. The problems with the Lexar cards occur when trying to transfer the images from the card (via card readers) to the computer. I use the Windows Explorer select, copy and paste functions in both Win7x64 and XP. When the system gets a read error, it often locks up the system. The lock ups happen more frequently with Win7x64 than with XP. I’ve tried 3 different card readers with the same results - USB reader, USB 3.0 reader and Firewire reader. It seems that there are defective areas on both Lexar cards. I wanted to see if I could salvage the use of these cards prior to ordering another Sandisk card.

The questions…

A - Is there a utility that will analyze an entire media card and then flag any questionable areas as unusable ?

B - Will the D300 in-camera Format “undo” the flagged areas?

C - Will the camera know not to use the flagged areas?

Much thanks in advance for any feedback.

Wayne

Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow