is it okay to purchase generic lenses?

Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: is it okay to purchase generic lenses?
In reply to newbiegina, Jun 26, 2012

newbiegina wrote:

have a lot of questions about lenses. I never thought owning a dslr will be this complicated and expensive :)) just wanna ask if it is okay to purchase generic lenses or it has to be canon lenses for canon cameras? will IQ be different?
And what are the other things needed for my canon eos 550d 18-55mm kit lens?

As long as there is a Canon mount available, you can buy it

Some "generic" lenses perform poorly, others are pretty amazing. Same goes for canon lenses. You just have to do your research and see if the lens offers you something you need.

As for what else you should get...

• canon 50mm f1.8 - Great cheap lens to get, I would suggest you buy this before you buy any other lens

• canon 55-250mm IS - Great telephoto lens, has the same IQ as the 18-55mm kit, pretty sharp for what you pay

• e-ttl flash - At first you can simply use it like the pop up flash, put it on the camera and let it figure out how much light it needs to put out. Down the road you can learn to use it off camera and with other equipment.

• tripod

• camera cleaning pen and rocket blower

• Adobe Lightroom - My favorite photo editing software when it comes to large batches of images that just need simple corrections and adjustments. Photoshop is more advanced but I don't think you'll be doing too much pixel based editing, at least for a little while.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow