D4 film quality/codec problem

Started Jun 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lea5
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 film quality/codec problem
In reply to NickeSvensk, Jun 26, 2012

It has nothing to do with your 14-24mm lens. It happens with all your lenses, because it's a downscaling problem. Forget FX and DX for recording video. FX mode looks like 720p video upscaled to 1080p. The only solution is to record video in CX, 2.7 crop. It is a known issue only the D4 has.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1123705

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7620/3000-nikon-d800-thrashes-flagship-6000-nikon-d4-for-video

NickeSvensk wrote:

I was on an island recording nature TV show and was invited to take photos on a protected beach. The problem was that the rules said that we could not use our broadcast TV cameras on in the protected area but SLR cameras for stills was OK. So I brought a brand new Nikon D4 to do the job that one person in the crew had just got.

I have had a D3 for years now but since it lacks the film mode I have no experience the film mode in Nikon SLR's but I did some quick tests with the D4 before I headed to the beach and it looked OK on the built in screen.

I did the job on the beach filming stock shots of turtle tracks in the sand and headed back to the hotel to look at the result in my MBP. To my surprise the films looked like they where shot on a consumer camera a couple of years back. I thought I had for some reason got a proxy file from the camera but there were no other files to be found in the camera. The video files was very small in size so I thought that I had the camera in some kind of low-res mode but when I checked the film settings the Film quality was set to HIGH and the resolution to 1080*25 what I could see there was no better quality to change to for a PAL production.

Since both I and the owner on the camera was puzzled over this we contacted Nikon NPS and after a few mails back and forth their conclusions was that the cameras film codec could not handle my NIKON 14-24 lens since it gave to much picture information. That is a very strange explanation. Their flagship camera can't handle one of their own new lenses. Then there has to be something seriously wrong with the film codec in the D4.

So since I did not get a good answer from NPS I'm now turning to you all to see if someone has an idea what went wrong? What setting did I miss? Anybody had the same experience? Could the codec really be so bad that it can't handle the information in a wide-angle picture?

During the filming I used the 'live frame grab' function so I have a good reference to what the film should have looked like.

Below is that live grab JPG scaled to 1920x1080, the same size as the film and the Exif data from that photo. I would guess that the EXIF for the photo should be the same as for the film if there was any EXIF embedded in the .mov file.

Dropbox link to the mov file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tkfvv22r94ebfc/_D4N1706.MOV

Dropbox link to the jpg file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i52gnp4owzna3ml/_D4N1707.jp (Add a 'g' so the extension forms .jpg at the end of the url)

Hope for some smart thought on this

EXIF
CFA Pattern: 0, 1, 1, 2
Contrast: Normal
Custom Rendered: Normal process
Date Time Digitized: 2012:06:06 16:54:30
Date Time Original: 2012:06:06 16:54:30
Digital Zoom Ratio: 1
Exposure Bias Value: 0
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Exposure Time: 1 / 1600
FNumber: 5,6
Focal Length: 14
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 14
Gain Control: None
ISO Speed Ratings: 200
Max Aperture Value: 3
Metering Mode: Pattern
Pixel X Dimension: 4 928
Pixel Y Dimension: 2 768
Saturation: Normal
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
Sharpness: Normal
Subject Distance Range: unknown
Sub-second Time: 10
Sub-second Time Digitized: 10
Sub-second Time Original: 10
White Balance: Auto white balance
Flash Compensation: 0
Lens Model: AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

Nikon
Focus Mode: AF-S
ISO Setting: 0, 200
LensType: 6
Quality: RAW
Shooting Mode: 1
VignetteControl: 3
White Balance Mode: AUTO1

TIFF
Compression: 34 713
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D4
Orientation: 1 (Normal)
Photometric Interpretation: 32 803
Software: Ver.1.00

Niclas

Lea5's gear list:Lea5's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow