Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BrianaH
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Finally upgrading to a DSLR...D5100 or D7000
Jun 26, 2012

I bought a Canon G7 about 6 years ago (when my baby was a few months old) instead of a Nikon DSLR. I have had fun with it, and now have 3 kids to take lots of pictures of. Sometimes I have felt that if I would've just jumped into the Nikon I really wanted then, that I would've taken the time to learn more and become a better photographer.

Now my camera has died, and isn't worth the $149 repair cost. So it makes more sense to start looking at the camera I really want. (Although I was hoping to keep the Canon for my quick in the purse camera, but I usually plan when I am going to be taking pictures anyway)

I like both the D5100 and the D7000. I expect that I will keep the same body for at least 5 years, and maybe get a lense every year or two. The funny thing is that I can buy the D5100 now for about what I spent on the G7. I have also considered the D3100, but locally with a sale it would only be $100 less than the D5100, so it doesn't seem like the best value.

I don't necessarily NEED the video on my camera as I purchased a very nice Panasonic camcorder last fall, and I like the idea of having that set up for video at recitals, and having my nice camera to take pictures.

What I do like is a higher frames per second. The G7 had that, and I know they slow down the longer you shoot, but I took some fun pictures at the park when the kids where in motion using that on my camera, and got some great shots.

My primary purpose is obviously my kids, but I also want a great camera that I can get landscape, garden, food, life pictures. I am sure either of these cameras will do the trick...but the D7000 is a several hundred more.

I would love to get some opinions between the two, or loves of either camera. I have been reading through the forums for opinions on both these cameras. The D5100 is at a better price point for me, but I find myself wanting to jump up to the "better" camera

Canon PowerShot G7 Nikon D3100 Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow