Canon 40D to Panasonic DMC-GX1 - any regrets?

Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
M J Valentine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244
Like?
Canon 40D to Panasonic DMC-GX1 - any regrets?
Jun 26, 2012

Hi,

I have recently sold my Canon 40D and am considering whether to get a GX1 with a 12-35mm f/2.8 and 20mm f/1.7 or get a Canon 60D and keep my 10-22mm and 24-105L. The aim is to save weight for general and holiday use without unduly compromising image quality. I have previously owned a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 but its weight was an issue.

I have previously owned an Olympus E-500 and was disappointed with the dynamic range compared to the 30D I owned at the time, especially the tendency to clip highlights and cause the sky on a bright day to appear white in the jpg file. Does the GX1 perform any better in this regard or at least comparable to my old 40D? I have seen sample shots using a GX1/20mm pancake combination which resulted in somewhat unnatural blue tones. Is this a problem for landscape photography?

Does any previous Canon DSLR owner here have any regrets for switching to M43/GX1?

Many thanks,

Martyn

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 60D Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow