Makro-Planar T* 2/50 or Planar T* 1.4/50 which is better for portrait

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
MikeCD2020
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: Makro-Planar T* 2/50 or Planar T* 1.4/50 which is better for portrait
In reply to oneANT, Jun 26, 2012

;-)) Hej Ant, I think we should agree to disagree..

What I gain from increasing my aperture from f2.0 to f1.4 is minimal, especially with the ever-better noise levels at high iso levels. I also like the fact that the MP can get that bit closer... 24cm instead of 45cm... I very rarely get that close but it is very handy when sitting across from a portrait subject in cafes for example. The bokeh from both is excellent, of course f1.4 is better than f2.0... but throw it in closer to the subject and the effect is stronger... although it is not that flattering to get too close to subjects with a 50mm, but it does give another perspective....The f1.4 is also around 190g lighter if you are considering lugging kit up mountains, it may well help...

The 100mm MP gets more use with me for head & shoulders or the jewellery images I am lumbered with... it is the single most difficult product I know to photograph... and bugs the hell out of me... but it does pay the bills...

Anyway, the initial poster may be well serviced by visiting the Official Carl Zeiss Lenses Group, on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/carlzeisslenses/

You can look at many images made with the lenses you are interested in... and ones that will make you think of ways of scraping enough cash together to buy....

500px also can be searched... and has a much higher general quality of images uploaded than Flickr... I know, it is a very personal choice...

Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow