F58AM Overheat

Started Jun 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rexel99
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Re: F58AM Overheat
In reply to imlammothion, Jun 26, 2012

Yup, overheating with the on-camrera flashes is always going to be an issue, a fan might be a solution except for the power it would consume. I think the 58 is a bit sensitive to the warmth, barely feeling warm to the touch when complaining of overheating...

Warm days or hot nightclubs would make it worse, as does (I found) any hoods or diffusers that wrap around the end.

I dont know if anybody has cracked one of these open, perhaps a heat-sink mod that exposes and transfers the heat our of the unit would make a big difference.

Oh, to add, I am still learning about how the flash actually works in regard to power and exposure. But as I understand, the output would change if you raised the iso, opened aperature using P/A/S modes, but in M it pretty much fires in full. Unless you overide the flash and set it to manual with 1/16 power for example. THis is great to reduce output and heat, but then wont adjust for the conditions... kids getting closer to you, snap and then they are over exposed..

Rexel99's gear list:Rexel99's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow