Started Jun 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stephen Sproull
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
D800 Family Portraits - Outdoor w/speedlights
Jun 25, 2012

The more I read the posts here on dpreview, the more I consider myself fortunate. My D800 seems to be operating perfectly fine. No AF issues, no flash sync issues, no live view issues (other than interpolation). I have shot 5 paid shoots to date with my new machine and not a single issue.

I just finished editing my first paid shoot with the D800. These images were shot back on May 12th, but the family purchased digital rights to all of the images from the shoot. As you can imagine, it takes a while to fully retouch and edit 30 portraits. I could have had them finished in less than half the time if it weren't for the 40+MB files from the D800! Haha, it hurts to have DR and lots of detail My 2008 MBP is being pushed to its max to say the least. I am very familiar with the "Loading..." notification in LR4. I hope to order a replacement MBP this summer. The images were retouched using LR4 and Photoshop CS6.

These particular images were shot at Indiana University - Bloomington. It was a perfect evening. We met around 6:30pm and the temperature, lighting, and sky conditions were ideal. I used the two light setup shown below for nearly all of the 'looks'. I think it's a nice combo - you are free to differ. There are two LumoPro 160 speedlights in the 64" PLM (key) and one SB800 in the Softbox III (rim).

I kept the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-S mounted on the D800 for most of the shots. I like to use this lens for family portraits and get way back - it compresses the scene nicely in my opinion. Everything was handheld.

Thank for looking. I'm happy to answer any questions. Check out the link below if you want to see all 30 of the retouched images from the shoot.

http://sproullphotography.zenfolio.com/p526132748

Stephen Sproull's gear list:Stephen Sproull's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow