Flat view
archi2this
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Crossroads. I'm at them.
Jun 25, 2012

I've read what I can from these forums and others:

I own:
-a390 with kit 18-55 and Sony's "cheap" 70-300.

I don't feel that I want to be chasing the holy grail of lenses for the rest of my life, but was in the process of saving for the Sony 16-50 2.8 ($800.00 US)

I started looking up various things about the NEX 5n.

I know image wise the 16-50 2.8 is going to be night and day what my current lenses can produce, but so would the NEX 5n system. For about $1000-1100 I could get the camera, kit 18-55 and zoom 50-210.

Question: For an enthusiast/hobbyist that will never have the large amounts of money required to keep the lens game fresh, is the NEX 5n a step up for me? I want IQ above all, but the NEX 5n has many improvements and features over my a390 in addition to IQ.

Background:

Wife and I bought the dslr a390 and both lenses about 18 months ago, she didn't like it because of its size. We just bought her an HX200V and she loves it. She wants versatility over IQ. I'd like both, but don't foresee myself able to keep up buying $800+ lenses (every 2-3 years tops).

What I enjoy attempting to shoot:
-night shots (city lights, beaches/boardwalks and fireworks)
-wildlife (zoo's, aquariums, yard intruders, etc)
-family during gatherings
-landscapes
-macro

Kind of a tall order because of the spread of things I enjoy to try and shoot good IQ pics of. I'm torn because I cannot tell if getting a good lens every 2-4 years sprinkled with upgraded DSLR is smarter long term or if the NEX5n will give me a large boost short term, while still providing long term.

archi2this's gear list:archi2this's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +1 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow