Senior MemberPosts: 2,199Gear list
Like?
Re: SD1 and "Angels" in Flight . . .
In reply to billt1970, Jun 25, 2012

billt1970 wrote:

Richard Franiec wrote:

billt1970 wrote:

rick decker wrote:

I like the last one best. They still seem small in size. As far as sharpness goes, some look on the soft side and I suspect a faster shutter speed via ISO400 and f4 or f2.8 would have helped a lot. The color of the planes looks on the dark side like yet the images are well exposed.

Thanks for the suggestions, Rick. It certainly was an adventure and I will do some things differently when I get another chance. The color of the planes changed dramatically depending on the angle with respect to the bright sun.

Definitely challenging lighting situation but I thought that they are called Blue Angels for a reason. Perhaps this is a sign that SD1's DR is lacking?

They are definitely BLUE, Richard. Compare the colors on the sixth image (SDIM3570) with those on the Blue Angels website: http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/

Best Regards,

BT

Thanks BT,

I know the planes are predominantly deep blue (I saw the show numerous times) which your last image clearly depict. I was just thinking that using spot metering under challenging conditions could bring the main subject's color closer to reality at the risk of potentially blown highlights. Skies here are of secondary importance. I think, wider dynamic range of SD1 could help in preserving both but I could be wrong. Not sure what is easier with SD1 and the supplied software: recovery of highlights or shadows?
Thank you for sharing the show, much appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow