ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
Leica R 50mm Simmilux f/1.4 vs. Contax Plannar 50mm f/1.4:
Jun 25, 2012

This is no contest, sorry. Using my NEX-7, first I put on the Leica Simmilux f/1.4, took a shot of the neighbor's back yard at f/5.6 then immediatly took a shot with the Contax Plannar f/1.4 at the same setting of f/5.6.
I then compared the two pictures just taken on a 32" HD monitor screen.

The Contax Plannar f/1.4 was the clear winner with a much sharper and detailed image. And, to think, the Contax sells for just a fraction of the price of the Leica.

Leica is NOT the best lens, and the Contax is even much smaller. If I were to sell one of these lenses, the Leica Simmilux would be the first to go.

Now I'm trying them both at f/1.4: Simmiux: This is awefull, very, very soft. Contax at f/1.4 still very sharp. The difference is even greater.

OK, now I'll try try the Leica Simmricron f/2: Sharper then the Simmilux at f/1.4 but still not nearly as sharp as the Contax Plannar at f/1.4.

The Contax Plannar f/1.4 is the clear and undisputable winner for sharpness while the Leica Simmricron f/2 comes in a a distant second and the Leica Simmilux f/1.4 comes in a a very, very distant third place. No contest!!!!!
This is all from a a 32" HD monitor screen.

These pictures were taken in landscape mode, the settings were automatic with ISO at 100 with speed a 1200 th of a sec.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow