Started Jun 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark VB
Senior MemberPosts: 2,912
Like?
Re: F58AM Overheat
In reply to imlammothion, Jun 25, 2012

imlammothion wrote:

Hi!

I usually don´t go over ISO 200 with RAW. Since i´m shooting models i need to keep noise levels to the minimal. Models are about 2 to 3 meters from me.

I also use the 16-50 Lens at F.4 to F5.6. It gives me the DOF i need to keep the model all sharp and a smoth background.

Depending on your end use of the photos, I don't think there's that much difference in noise characteristics between ISO 200 and 400. While you may see it when pixel peeping, it will not appear in prints or normal monitor viewing (unless perhaps you are printing to 20x30 or similar large sizes). You don't mention your shutter speed, and whether at the apertures you use you are in normal sync mode or high-speed sync mode. If you can go to ISO 400 while staying at normal sync shutter speeds, that would allow the flash to "work" less hard for each shot. It still may not be enough to prevent over-heating, but it would delay how long it takes to overheat.

One thing you don't mention, and I didn't ask, is if you are using any light modifiers with the flash. Those also will require the flash to work harder, but if you are using them there may be no alternative to get the "quality" of light you want and are getting with the modifiers. Also, check your flash zoom setting. If you are using a wider setting on the flash than is needed for the lens' focal length, that also makes the flash work harder. If you are using a modifier, such as a diffuser, you might also be able to use a longer focal length setting on the flash which might help (e.g., I usually keep my flash at 50mm when using a Lumiquest Softbox or a home-made bounce card (the latter is for indoor shooting only).

I noticed that one of the problems is that on daylight shooting the Sun´s heat has a huge impact on the flash.

You could consider wrapping the flash in a white/light toned cloth which would minimize this effect. It should be thin enough to allow at least some of the heat of the flash to radiate out. It's hard to say which would have a more adverse effect, the heat of the sun, or a white wrap that might trap a bit more heat while reflecting the sun's heat.

May sound nonsense but i belive that Sony should have but a fan on this

Not necessarily nonsense, but not very practical. Better might be some kind of way to disperse heat build up. But, all similar flash units have similar problems (e.g., Canon and Nikon).

If the problem are not otherwise addressable, and if you want to maintain the portability and small size/weight offered by such flashes/speedlights, your best option may be to get a second flash, and swap them out. You might also try swapping out the batteries when you have an overheated flash. If you've ever removed batteries from a flash after extensive use you'll notice how hot they are (due to the chemical reaction in the batteries). Putting in a new set of batteries and allowing the other set to cool down might help.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow