Started Jun 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fike
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
EM-5 Compared to 7D
Jun 25, 2012

Before my EM-5 arrived, I was looking everywhere for a head-to-head comparison on the EM-5 and the 7D. I couldn't find any, so I did my own.

My conclusion: There is no meaningful difference in IQ between the two at base ISO or 1600 ISO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trailpixie/7439704314/lightbox/ .

Now the caveat...the 7D is a two-year old camera and Olympus has only just matched it's quality. On the other hand, the EM-5 has a much smaller sensor and is a much smaller and lighter camera.

As we go crazy trying to produce some consensus about where this little camera needs to fit in the pantheon of cameras, I think it is important to compare it to the right cameras. The 7D made sense. I think a D7000 would be another good comparison (though the EM-5 might not stack up quite as well there). The comparisons that have proliferated to 5DII or 5DIII and D800s are pretty unrealistic. This is a much smaller sensor compared to those cameras. Of course the NEX comparisons are pretty fair, but I think the MFT cameras have achieved a degree more compactness in their lenses than the APS-C NEX cams.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow