Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Monks and Nuns to be in Yangon, Burma
In reply to rinsephotographic, Jun 25, 2012

rinsephotographic wrote:

Adam Felde wrote:

HI. I was in Burma in November for 17 days. I had a great time and captured some wonderful images. I've been blooging about it at: http://naturallightimages.posterous.com .

You can go back to the first blog. If you do go and you make it to KaLaw you HAVE to go to the train station to photograph passengers coming in on the train. It's way cool!

love your blog. you've done a beautiful job capturing the colour and the people of burma. i've been lucky enough to have spent more than 3 months on three separate trips and your blog brought back some wonderful memories.

as far as places in burma...anywhere you go you'll have a wealth of photographic opportunities. yangon is amazing for street photography, as is mandalay. pull up a small plastic stool at a tea shop and spend a few hours, you wont regret. take the circular commuter train around the out suburbs of yangon, it's an unreal slice of life. bagan is about as 'touristy' as burma gets, but burma is never as touristy as other SE asian countries. bagan's temple-dotted plains are a photographers dream. if you're a temple and and an adventure nut, hire a boat up the irrawaddy and go to mrauk u. untouched, basically. the ride up is something else. long but amazing. if you can convince your boat driver to stop along the way you'll be rewarded with a tour or two of villages that have probably not seen tourists in years, if ever.

i can also recommend taunggyi. it's a bit of a swashbuckling smuggler's town but it's got a certain feel to it. if inle lake is on your itinerary taunggyi is not far. again, untouristed. also worth it to go to shan state, especially hsipaw. cool place, gorgeous scenery. the train from pyin oo lwin is unbelievably slow but also unbelievably scenic, culturally as well as landsacpe-wise. head up the road to lashio as well.

enjoy, it's a beautiful country with even more beautiful people. throw out a few 'ming-ga-la-bas' and watch the huge smiles.

-- hide signature --

dave

More great info, thank you. The planning is done! Nothing booked yet, I am relying on a Burmese friend to get me visas and accomodation, then I will deal locally for my trips as I usually do...

Unfortunately can't stay longer than 15 days...

Hope to get everything in time as I hope to leave to Burma in two weeks time!

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow