**** This Week Through Your M43 June 23, 2012 ****

Started Jun 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
James Bligh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103
Like?
Re: Little Beggar, Bangkae Market, Bangkok. Thailand.
In reply to Ollie 2, Jun 25, 2012

It reminds me of Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens in which good and evil exist even in society of thieves. I certainly wish to believe the good prevails in the end as Dickens wrote in his novel. But the reality may be more complex than that and we are haunted by moral dilemmas. No simple answer and our conscience suffer.

For me I give some money to the unfortunate just to relieve uneasiness of my mind, a selfish motivation I must confess.

Ollie 2 wrote:

NuFonaut wrote:

In many countries it is advised to not give money to child beggars. The reasoning behind this is that tourists shall not facilitate living on the street for children, which then are less likely to seek help from organisations, the state etc.

So not only is the photographer taking advantage of the child’s situation for their own benefit (whatever that may comprise), but they are also determining that that child would be better off without the financial support that they are begging for? Sounds conveniently remote.

Further these children are often misused by grown ups and have to hand over all their money.

Very possibly. Again, you would prefer to see that child penniless rather than take the chance that that money may end up in their parent’s hands? Odd.

It is often advised to rather donate to organizations working with street children instead of directly hand out money.

Why not do both?

-- hide signature --

Decision, decision, we are the slaves of decisions we made inadvertently.

May God forgive us our imperfections!

Dust to dust, what on earth are we entitled to claim?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FordNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow