Would You Buy a Panny 20mm for the E-M5?

Started Jun 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,578Gear list
Like?
Would You Buy a Panny 20mm for the E-M5?
Jun 25, 2012

I've seen the posts about high ISO banding when using the Panasonic 20mm with the E-M5. Olympus is working on the problem, and has advised folks to use the 20mm at lower ISO speeds for the time being.

If I ultimately succumb to the call of the E-M5 and buy one, would I be crazy to buy a Panasonic 20mm lens as my low light lens, given the banding situation? (For the time being let's assume that Oly doesn't come out with a simple firmware fix that will totally correct the problem.)

I'm not talking about the inside of dark bars; I'm thinking of environments such as a museum with fairly decent lighting. In past years I got some great shots at the Henry Ford Museum in MI, with my old G1 and the 20mm lens I foolishly sold and wish I had right now. I never had to use over ISO 800 in that environment. Am I likely to be OK in such situations with an E-M5 and the 20mm Pany lens? Or, does the "high ISO" problem extend down to 800 as well?

Thanks; your insight and advice will be greatly appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow