T41 (T3i) vs D5100 for newbie ?

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,342Gear list
Like?
Re: T41 (T3i) vs D5100 for newbie ?
In reply to idic5, Jun 25, 2012

For the love of all that's holy, don't use Snapsort for anything except a laugh. They're notoriously inaccurate at the most fundamental spec levels and their conclusions are strictly throwaway.

I recently picked up a T2i when I was considering a D5100. I had a D5000 and while it was nice and had great shadow range, it wasn't bullet proof by any means and had a bit of a highlight clipping problem as well as ugly noise reduction applied to RAW files. It also had a lot of hot pixels that even made it in to RAW conversion in Lightroom, and Nikon charges for pixel remapping.

The T3i should be able to be had for the same as a D5100 now, and other than a bit more noise in shadows when pulled, I think it's a tossup overall. Nikon has the cheap 35mm 1.8 which is a great and fun lens, slightly less noisy shadows and arguably the best sensor in a midrange (same as the D7000 and K-5 while the T2i, 3i, 4i all probably share the same sensor, barring slight modification, as the 7D or 60D, although there's some debate on that).

If you compare high ISO RAW on DPR the D5100 and T3i are almost indistinguishable. But pulling shadows in low ISO images can often be another matter, and there the Nikon does have an edge with more pleasing noise characteristics (Canon has a bit of a 'canvas' or 'crosshatch banding' thing going on that's hard to eliminate in post).

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow