Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phutyle
Regular MemberPosts: 220Gear list
Like?
A77 - Weird AF micro adjust issue
Jun 24, 2012

I've a 70-400G that I use on my A77. I was finding images at 400mm, especially wider than f8 or so, to be quite soft, and certainly not up to the quality of posts I've seen here. I don't get to use it as much as I'd like, and I shot mainly handheld, so I kind of assumed that it was down to my technique.

Then I tried it on a good tripod, and still had the same issue. So I wondered if it was a bad copy of the lens, but with other commitments, never got to look into it.

So yesterday, I decided to give AF micro adjust a go. It's a feature I haven't used at all on any of my lenses. Took a few shots at 400mm on a tripod (SSS off) at f5.6 and confirmed the softness.

When I went into the menu, AF micro adjust was already turned on, but when I went to the "amount" option, it was greyed out, and couldn't be selected. So I went to the "clear" option, and got a message to say that it was going to clear AF micro adjust data for 30 lenses. Now, I've never used the feature before, and don't even own 30 lenses. After clearing, I tried a shot with the lens again, and it was perfectly sharp. I was even able to some get fairly sharp handheld shots at 1/40s (SSS on). I am delighted that my lens now seems to be exhibiting the quality I was expecting of it.

So it seems that the issue was that AF micro adjust was mis-set badly for the lens, causing he softness. With the camera claiming that 30 lenses had adjustments set, I wonder did it have a negative impact on any of my other lenses. I never noticed any issues with any of them.

The A77 came from the very first batch that came out last autumn. It was a pre-order from WEX inn the UK. Boxed and sealed. So it certainly wasnt used before i got it. I've installed the two firmware updates since release, so it would have been reset twice. I swear that I never, ever set AF micro adjust on the camera for this, or any other lens. And I only have 7 lenses, not 30. And no-one else uses the camera to the extent that they'd be going into these menu settings. So it just doesn't make any sense.

So does anyone have any idea how AF micro adjust settings got set for 30 lenses on the camera?

phutyle's gear list:phutyle's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow