ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billt1970
Contributing MemberPosts: 785Gear list
Like?
SD1 and "Angels" in Flight . . .
Jun 24, 2012

[Sorry Fritz, I couldn't help but borrow from your Subject of birds in flight!]

"Angels" in Flight . . . "Blue Angels" that is, the US Navy's Blue Angels Flight Demonstration Team performed last Sunday at the kickoff weekend for the Bicentennial Celebration of Fort McHenry in Baltimore, MD Harbor. [Fort McHenry was the backdrop for the bombardment in 1814 that inspired Francis Sott Key to compose the "Star Spangled Banner," the USA's National Anthem.

My son, Jon, who lives in Baltimore, invited us to a rooftop perch near Ft. McHenry to watch the show. So, of course I took all my Sigma gear, plus son Mike's SD1 and new 120-300mm f2.8 zoom lens (earned as partial credit against his full price purchase of the SD1). It turned out that I barely used my SD1M and DP2 as the planes were no more than "birds" in any other than a long telephoto lens. I took over 300 pictures with Mike's rig on a steady tripod, settling on the ball head after trying two other heads to frustration. I admit that I'm mostly a nature and landscape photographer. The last time I shot anything moving over about 10MPH was back in the 1970s at Hockenheim, Germany at Formula 1 and 2 races!! So I was a little rusty, but caught on quickly, as you will see from the images.

Here is an image of my setup taken with my DP2.

[Note: this is NOT the ball head I ended up with; also note the cruise ship docked at the left side rear of the image; that cruise ship, about 1KM distant, is the "frame" for many shots.]

My favorite 12 images follow. I know the sky is not the same "blue", which I attirbute to different angles to the sun, and different elevation of the camera/lens as the planes flew at a wide variety of altitudes. Also understand that the MINIMUM speed of the Blue Angels is 120MPH and the top speed is almost 700MPH! The fact that I caught anything remotely sharp is incredible to me.

The famous "Domino Sugar" sign in Baltimore.

What is it below?!?

Two F/A-18s flying side-by-side, one INVERTED!!

Closeup of the previous image; I can't believe that I caught this at 200MPH!!

Now we have four planes, two INVERTED!

Incredibly sharp closeup of the main four planes. Remember thay are over 2KM distant flying at almost 200MPH!

Kicking in the afterburners to go vertical!

All six planes headed up into a loop.

Splitting apart, above and below, for an acrobatic trick.

What goes up . . . (below)

Must come down! (below)

That 120-300mm f2.8 is an incredible lens. Thanks to Mike for letting me borrow his gear.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I did taking them!! A gallery of the best 48 images, with some close-up crops can be found at:
http://www.pbase.com/billtaylor/blue_angels_at_fort_mchenry_bicentennial_kickoff

Best Regards,

Bill Taylor
Gambrills, MD

billt1970's gear list:billt1970's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
Sigma DP2 Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow