ND Filters

Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
stucs201
Regular MemberPosts: 368
Like?
Re: ND Filters
In reply to jcockeri, Jun 24, 2012

jcockeri wrote:

Thank for the reply. I'm not sure what "sunny 16" means exactly or how you calculated your 12 stop filter strenght.

I think 10 stops is the darkest they are made and from the research I have done online that is more than you need. People have gotten 2 or more minutes exposure in daylight with a 10 stop.

What I'm wondering is will a 6 stop be fine for anything between 30 seconds to 1 minute? I don't need/want to do 2 or more minutes of exposure because I don't own a cable release

Check out this video... it's awesome and very explanitory. The photographer uses a 10 stop but he also keeps the shutter open for 2 minutes.

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-take-long-exposure-shots-in-daylight

It sounds like you need to do some reading on what a stop actually is. For your question though:

6 stops = 2^6 =64 times as long as without a filter.
10 stops = 2^10 = 1024 times as long as without a filter.

So under the conditions, iso and apperture settings which give a 2 minute exposure for a 10 stop filter you'll need about 3 or 4 seconds with a 6 stop filter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow