D800 left AF point issue = faulty test procedure?

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
arizonadesertrat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319Gear list
Like?
D800 left AF point issue = faulty test procedure?
Jun 24, 2012

This left AF issue on the D800 just keeps on going and going. I read where people pick up a camera in a store, shoot a couple of pictures and pronounce the camera faulty. I can't help but wonder what procedure these people are following and just how accurate these pronunciations are.

I'm afraid also that the video which has been making it's rounds where the photographer uses his left AF point and then expects everything on the (supposedly) same plane also be in focus, is causing unnecessary anxieties.

I have a D800 with a low SN. I recently re-tested my camera with a 24-70 at f2.8 from about 1 meter away using the large version of the FOCAL target shooting RAW. I first shot using the center AF point and achieved perfect focus. I then switched to the left most AF point and although I noticed a split second of AF hunting, the resulting two photos when looked at 200% magnification show no difference in sharpness. In other words, my camera focuses correctly on the AF point currently selected. Someone correct me please if I'm wrong in thinking that is as it should be.

-- hide signature --

Fiat Lux

arizonadesertrat's gear list:arizonadesertrat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +12 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow