Lens for Olympus omd em5

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,118Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens for Olympus omd em5
In reply to M43newbii, Jun 24, 2012

M43newbii wrote:

I'm planning on purchasing olympus omd em5 soon or whenever online retailer get it in stock and I will buy one prime lens along w zoom lens but my questions are of the lenses listed below other than the size of the lens body, also one being longer 42 vs. 45mm, what is your take on the quality,focusing speed and noise, and other attributes makes one better than another. I will be shooting mostly of people (family) and general vacation type photos. Thanks.

Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Power O.I.S Lens

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH/MEGA O.I.S. Micro Four Thirds Lens
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R Lens

If you are buying your camera in the US, you can get the M.Zuiko 14-42 as a kit lens with the body for only a hundred dollars. It's probably a good idea to get one even if you later prefer to buy the PZ 14-42 or the 14-45. It's always nice to have something to put on the body when it becomes time to sell it some years from now. I ordered my E-M5 with the M.Zuiko 14-42 for this reason although I already have the 14-45.

In my opinion (and that of most other people around here), the 14-45 is the best of the kit lenses in terms of sheer optical quality. It also has a metal mount and (unlike the Panasonic 14-42 and PZ 14-42) a switch for turning OIS on and off on the lens barrel (with the others you have to do it via the menu system). The OIS feature is of course redundant on the E-M5 but it is certainly nice to have if you ever want to use the lens on a Panasonic body.

The main attractions of the PZ 14-42 are of course its small size and its power zoom feature (if you want that). Regrettably, at least some copies have problems with blur at certain combinations of focal length and shutter speed, presumably due to the OIS mechanism.

As to the AF mechanism, I think you can count on it to be silent and pretty fast no matter which of the three you choose.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow