ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LeVaK
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
5DmkII or 7D for landscape and climbing
Jun 24, 2012

Hello!

It's time I change my old 350D with 18-55 F3.5-5.6 kit lenses with something new. After all, it has been with me for the last 6 or 7 years and it shows it's age with unsharp images.

The problem is I can't decide weather to go with 5DmkII or 7D. Even after reading a lot of posts here on forum and on the internet.

So what I photo mainly? I do mostly landscape pictures on my trekkings and hikings and I always like to take the camera with me when I go climbing in the mountains. So it's mainly "slow" action, but there are times when I like to take pictures of my nephew who is very active:)

From the above, I would say 5D would be great for me. I really like the FF sensor and the possibility to use "cheap" wide angle prime lenses.

On the other hand, I'm a bit concerned with AF on 5DmkII. Is it really as poor as people say? I mostly shoot with good light conditions but that's mainly because camera don't allow me to work in low light:) On the other hand, I'm currently using 350D and I consider it's fokus ok:) so I still think 5D's should be way better then current one:)

Is there enough AF points? Do they cover all your need? I'm used to focus on center point and then move the camera, but with kit lenses I always shoot at F5.6 or more so the DOF is quite big. But if I move to F2.8 that might not be an option anymore.

At the end, I would like to record a movie every now and then. How does 5D perform in that task? I've seen some awesome movies shoot with 5D. Does 7d or 5d support follow focus in video mode or do I have to manually focus?

As the final question: what lenses to get? Currently I only have KIT lenses which sux and a 70-200F4. If I would go with 5D there will be little money left for the lenses so I'm looking for something cheap and usefull. Currently I'm looking at EF 35mm F2.0, 50mm F1.4 and a new pancake EF 40mm F2.8. In the future I would like to add a 16-35 F2.8 or maby a 24-70 F2.8 but the last one is extra expensive(the II version). What would your pick be?

I'm leaving on a long trip in August and would like to have a all around prime with me, but I'm not sure which of the above would be most useful. But then again it's better to take wider images and crop then to not capture the motive.

So what would you pick if you were on my place?

Matej
--
My own picture gallery:
http://art.planetq.org/

Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow