Dear Canon, here is why I won't purchase more of your compacts

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,796Gear list
Like?
Re: Dear Canon, here is why I won't purchase more of your compacts
In reply to ZoranC, Jun 24, 2012

ZoranC wrote:

Loved, loved, LOVED the image quality but my camera, even though not even 2 weeks old, is producing pictures that are showing smudges / dust spots on the sensor in 3 different places. What good are for me pictures with such image quality if they will be all ruined by spots on sensor? What good is for me camera that I can’t trust won’t ruin my pictures over whole length of ownership when I obviously couldn’t have trusted it even 2 weeks into ownership? That is not acceptable to me from me any camera, especially not from $800 one.

What is even worse, G1X is not first PowerShot I owned that had this type of problem. G12 I had has too shown it in under a month.

So not only I am, of course, sending G1X back but also won’t purchase another PowerShot until your compact camera division is capable of producing one that won’t develop this kind of issue this fast. Until then I will be spending my money elsewhere.

With regards,

ZoranC

Sorry you had this problem. It must be very frustrating. Over two weeks ago, I posted my concern about cleaning dust off these large sensor fixed lens compact cameras, but most responders didn't agree with me that it is even a problem.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=41713917

Why, I don't know. Maybe denial. I have had two Sony and one Fujifilm pocket cameras with very noticeable dust on their sensors which could not be removed with a vacuum. It's a nusance to remove the dust spots in Lightroom.

I think dust on the sensor is an important issue, which should be discussed openly and addressed by the camera manufacturers, regardless of brand involved.

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow