First outing with my x-pro 1, Please critique my street set

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Forum MemberPosts: 83
First outing with my x-pro 1, Please critique my street set
Jun 24, 2012

So today was my first day out with my X-Pro 1.

So when I started it up this morning i spent a good half hour familiarizing myself with all the controls and was a little underwhelmed. I kept having this "is this it?" feeling. My past cameras were 5DMkII and the D700/D800. I am used to these massive menu options and settings and overwhelming manuals. It was nothing like that.

So I got the camera set up how I am comfortable with and headed on my way to Sea World in San Diego. So as I started the day I kept feeling like I was missing shots and they would be out of focus. I was primarily using the OVF due to how bright it was today. The OVF is a little complicated for my taste so I switched to the EVF and thought it was horrid, but I could more properly frame my shots. Colors and brightness were very blown out and I couldn't judge sharpness very well.

So I got over the fact and started messing with my film/ DR settings/ ISO settings. I primarily was on AUTO800 and seemed to be working fine but did run into some shots where 1/4000sec was a little slow for trying to do outdoor portraits at f/1.4.

But I am persistent and had every ambition to make this work because I loved the shots I had seen by Zack Arias. So I pressed on. The thing that started to annoy me is that I didn't feel like I was doing much with the camera. I was simply pointing the camera and taking photos. I was rarely messing with settings. Now at first I was still feeling underwhelmed.

Was I any less of a photographer because of this? Is this guy walking by me with a 5D and L lens laughing at me? I honestly thought to myself "I am going to go home, contact Amazon, and return this camera"

But this was an experiment for myself so I, again, continued. I still had the camera on Aperture Priority and moved between f/8, f/5.6, and f/1.4 and had grown to like the EVF. Then it happened. My shots became all about framing. My old habit of keeping my subjects in the center were dissapearing. I was paying attention to other factors of my photograph than the settings of my camera.

The camera finally became a tool rather than an extension of my creativity. I was impressed with my own shots.

So, after my skin got to red for my own good (forgot sunblock) I headed home.
When I popped my SD card into my computer I was shocked...

I had a personal connection with almost all of my shots. I had shots, although not in focus, still had an artistic vibe that I still felt comfortable developing. I enjoyed going back through them. It is a connection that I had not felt since my old AE-1 back in high school.

So below I linked to my session (about 26 shots) and hope you guys enjoy them, share them, criticize them.

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow