My D800 AF with 28mm f1.8G is junk

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,104Gear list
Like?
Re: My D800 AF with 28mm f1.8G is junk
In reply to aleajactaest, Jun 24, 2012

aleajactaest wrote:

Brand new poster here - but long time lurker.

Here is my D800 story. Long time photographer, but new to Nikon. Got a D800 back in early April. Played with 50mm 1.8G, 135mm f2 DC. Absolutely enthused by the quality of pictures I got, and satisfied by the camera features and handling (mostly). Since I snapped about 2600 pictures without detecting anything particularly odd (focus mishaps were attributed to the quirkiness of the 135mm f2 DC) I was enjoying what I thought to be a defect free D800.

Seemingly.

Cue in the 28mm f1.8G - that I got last Monday. Good lens, optically speaking, not doubt about that. Live view results are very pleasing.

But Nikon, your D800 AF with that lens is just a piece of junk. Yes, I am talking about the left AF point issue - I got it, and it shows in ridiculous proportions. Basically, I am incapable of getting a properly focused picture when using the left focus point. The right focus point is significantly better, although not as good as the central AF point.

In a nutshell, I cannot obtain a sharp (with an extremely lose definition of what sharp is!) picture with that AF point. The problem appears when the subject to camera distance is 1.4m, and 3.2m (the distances I tested, which represent typical distances for my normal use indoors for such a focal length), even pictures stopped down to f8 (hoping the depth of field would camouflage the AF issue) are worthless. No matter if I am taking a picture of a chart or a real object, it's way way off.
Tomorrow I will test at infinity setting - my hopes are not too high.

Very, very disappointed - and a bit furious. Nikon, get your act together.

User error!

-- hide signature --

Shoot like it's your last day..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow