Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aleajactaest
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
My D800 AF with 28mm f1.8G is junk
Jun 24, 2012

Brand new poster here - but long time lurker.

Here is my D800 story. Long time photographer, but new to Nikon. Got a D800 back in early April. Played with 50mm 1.8G, 135mm f2 DC. Absolutely enthused by the quality of pictures I got, and satisfied by the camera features and handling (mostly). Since I snapped about 2600 pictures without detecting anything particularly odd (focus mishaps were attributed to the quirkiness of the 135mm f2 DC) I was enjoying what I thought to be a defect free D800.

Seemingly.

Cue in the 28mm f1.8G - that I got last Monday. Good lens, optically speaking, not doubt about that. Live view results are very pleasing.

But Nikon, your D800 AF with that lens is just a piece of junk. Yes, I am talking about the left AF point issue - I got it, and it shows in ridiculous proportions. Basically, I am incapable of getting a properly focused picture when using the left focus point. The right focus point is significantly better, although not as good as the central AF point.

In a nutshell, I cannot obtain a sharp (with an extremely lose definition of what sharp is!) picture with that AF point. The problem appears when the subject to camera distance is 1.4m, and 3.2m (the distances I tested, which represent typical distances for my normal use indoors for such a focal length), even pictures stopped down to f8 (hoping the depth of field would camouflage the AF issue) are worthless. No matter if I am taking a picture of a chart or a real object, it's way way off.
Tomorrow I will test at infinity setting - my hopes are not too high.

Very, very disappointed - and a bit furious. Nikon, get your act together.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow