Bored stiff

Started Jun 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Phil Askey
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,820Gear list
Like?
Re: Bored stiff
In reply to Don Fraser, Jun 24, 2012

Don Fraser wrote:

And Phil's bad-ass comments, which were worth the price of admission. I think he got out at just the right time.

Meh.

Now, hordes of cameras, differing slightly. The occasional odd breakthrough, which is most welcome when it happens, and forums that put me to sleep because I've seen the typical views, typical arguments, and typical snarky stuff so many times. I won't even start about the typical cliches that appear with mind-numbing regularity.

Mature market, poor economy, no specific technology breakthroughs, it's all cyclic, change will come.

There are some great pictures on the challenges, and that's about the only interesting thing left.

Glad you like Challenges.

Anyone else feel the same way, or is it just me?

I think maybe you have a bit of gear-chase-fatigue, but overall in a mature market it's difficult for the months to be as exciting as they were ten years ago, the current worldwide economic situation isn't doing anything to help stimulate development but change will come again... I think Simon's done a good job of adding different types of editorial to ensure it remains engaging. The "art" and "skill" of photography are ever evolving and dpreview is playing a large part in talking about that.

All that said I can remember seeing the same complaints in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010...

-- hide signature --

Phil Askey
Founder, dpreview.com

Phil Askey's gear list:Phil Askey's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M9 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow