Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,796Gear list
Like?
Re: Moving from Olympus to..
In reply to jimrpdx, Jun 24, 2012

jimrpdx wrote:

jonikon wrote:

... I switched from the Sony (a700) to Nikon (D7000) in the fall of 2010 because I didn't like the direction Sony was going with their SLTs and EVF Alpha cameras and there was never an upgrade to the a700, so I jumped, and have been very glad I did.

Very similar story here, but I went to Pentax - back to Pentax actually, it was my pre-digital brand. I too am happy with my decision, and will toss out the unspoken question: why not a K-5? Similar to your Oly with weather seals and sensor-IS, and reviewers gave it very high marks. Definitely a personal choice, and CaNi cameras will most certainly do the job.. but despite all the comments Pentax isn't dead yet and Ricoh wants it to thrive.
--
Jim in Oregon -- K5 user, Alpha a200 & Lumix G1 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

I'm not sure who you are asking the question of, but here are some of my reasons I chose the Nikon D7000 over the Pentax K5.

• Pentax K5 body was $200 more at realease than the Nikon D7000 body only.

• Nikon D7000 has better auto focus, with 39 point. Pentax, worse AF with only 11 points.

• Nikon's flash system is far superior to Pentax flash system (which is dated).

• Nikon's in-lens image stabilization is superior to Pentax's in-body IS, especially at longer focal lengths, where I need it most.

• Nikon lenses are of better optical quality and usually much less expensive than comparable Pentax lenses.

• Nikon D7000 has a metal shell, but Pentax K5 is plastic. I prefer metal.

• I prefer Nikon's implementation of Auto ISO to Pentax's because I can set the minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO. K5 won't allow that.

• 5 year warranty on Nikon lenses. 1 year on Pentax lenses, (which has a poor reputation for lens quality control, especially the motors.)

• Not as many third party lenses options available for Pentax as there are for Nikon. For example. Tamron and Tokina do not make lenses for Pentax and Sigma doses not make all of their lenses in a Pentax K mount.

• Nikon system support and product availability is far better than Pentax in the US. I can walk into any camera store here and get a spare battery or a lens for a Nikon DSLR. Not true for Pentax. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a Pentax DSLR in a store here in the US.

• I can rent any Nikon lens locally for very reasonable prices, which is great for special events like weddings. I can't do this with Pentax lenses. I would have to buy them, and I don't have $2000+ lying around for a 70-200 f2.8 lens right now.

• Poor market and resale value for Pentax lenses and cameras in my area.

• Many local private sellers of used Nikon lenses and equipment, often at bargain prices. Not so for Pentax.

• Pentax's has been sold twice in six years and have very low market share percentage. I just don't trust that Pentax will still be making DSLRs in five years. I do expect Nikon to be making DSLRs for a very long time though.

That's not all the reasons I chose the D7000 over the Pentax K5, but it's enough, IMO.

Best regards,
Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow